Monday, August 31, 2015

The Cure

I know that it’s hard to read my story sometimes but thank you for sharing in this journey with me. If this is your first time reading my blog, I encourage you to start at the beginning as each blog has a message or gives some guidance. If my story touches you in any way, I challenge you to share it on your page so that others can see the importance of speaking up and sharing Sara’s Silence.  I am glad that you can't imagine what I am feeling or going through. If you are walking with me in this journey, I pray that you find comfort that you do not walk alone.  I pray all the time that no one will have to endure this hell.  I write so that you can understand if you have a friend or loved one who shares my nightmare how to help them or what they may be going through but most important so that you talk to your children! It needs to start when they are young, talk to them about feelings; talk to them about sharing what’s inside, it’s not just about what they put in their bodies that counts. But if they have a good thoughts as well. Mind and body check-ups need to happen and often. The youngest baby lost to suicide that I have heard about is 6 and she left a note. That is crazy to me. Kids are precious and you have to protect them not only from bullies, drugs, and bad people but from themselves.  Our children no matter the age need to know that it’s ok to talk about their battles.  Sara did not fit any signs of suicide. She is the anti-poster child but maybe she needs to be the new poster child. Suicide can impact anyone.  It happens every 12 minutes in the U.S. Every 12 minutes someone takes there life. Every 12 minutes someone creates a ripple that turns into a Tsunami.  
We never use the word hate in our house but this once will be ok. I hate the word suicide, it’s like cancer or STD, it leaves a sour taste on my tongue. I don't know why maybe because it focuses on the persons act rather than the solution… we spend thousands of dollars on researching cures and solutions…we talk about eat this and it helps with reducing your risk of this…wear this and it will keep you from getting that…get this shot and it will protect you from this…how about talk about suicide and feelings to save a life cause that one life you may save could be someone you love…could be your child….your cousin…your grandbaby…your loved one….
Is there a cure? Yes I do believe there is. There is a cure for suicide. It doesn't have to be developed in a lab somewhere. It’s in all of us. It’s in each and every one of us. We have the ability to cure something. I challenge you to cure suicide by talking about it, by sharing Sara's Silence, by SPEAKING up, by not judging those around you who may have struggles, by making a difference in someone's life. By having those hard conversations and then seeking help when you need it. Don’t judge someone who is struggling; help carry the burden by listening or asking the questions. A.S.T.-Asking Saves Teenagers
We are a part of the problem if we are afraid to ask those hard questions and open those lines of communication with the kids. I cannot stress enough that Sara did not fit the suicide mold or signs. Most of the parents that are just like me tell me every day that there were no signs.  They were given no chance to save their babies. Statistics show that 90% of suicide deaths have a mental illness that could have been treated but were UNDECTECTED. We don't know what Sara had or if she had anything. What we know is that she did not speak up about her feelings and instead battled those alone leaving her not prepared for a bad day.
We didn't know she was struggling. She was very close to both her dad and I. She journaled one time, that "Thankfully, I had my mom to help me along the way and point me in the right direction. Thankfully, she helped me with my problem, and continues to do so now if I need a little help or guidance." So again, she knew that we could help her with her struggles yet for some reason didn't want to bother us this time. A teenager recently told me that they feel as though parents are too busy with their own worries and their own issues that they don't want to add to them. They said that it’s hard to talk to their parents openly if it’s not started at a young age. That they feel like their parents will judge them or punish them. It’s awkward for them to have parents all of a sudden want to talk. Kids these days are trying to take on finding themselves. Let’s give them the best tools we can by making sure that no topic is left off the list. It’s ok to speak up and talk about having a bad day. You need not walk alone in this battle.

Sara’s Silence will be no more; I will be her voice to save another child. So again I challenge you to CURE SUICIDE. Talk about it, read about it, educate yourself, and don’t think that you are not able to be affected by it. It does not care about race or religion or money…You never know until you ask the questions and have the conversations and not just once. One time talking about it won’t fix the issue. Be sure that you also help them if they have friends who mention hurting themselves. Give your child the tools and knowledge of how to help their friends. Don’t leave them unprepared to save a friend and to know when to notify an adult.


I will help cure suicide from taking any more of our children! STAND WITH ME! 
S.P.E.A.K!!!! 
SUICIDE PREVENTION EDUCATION AWARENESS for KIDS!!!!!!!

2 comments: