Saturday, September 5, 2015

Suicide and Ocean Tides

Poem For Sara Dedicated By Cinthia Romo SM South Student (Hoping that I typed it out correctly)

Heaven gained another angel
When you decided to cut your life short
People like to contort the image of suicide
As if it were so easy to decide
To keep going
As if life were always boring
and consistent
As if you could always keep both feet
on the ground
Without having to spin around and around
People say that you shouldn't commit suicide
Because dying is a permanent solution
to a temporary problem
But how can you blossom
when it feels like you are drowning
in an ocean
Full of commotion from the tides
That you wear out
And that's what it feels like it'll always be about
That you can't stride anymore
Just swim in solitude
I know what it feels like to swim for miles
and still have what it feels like an infinity to go
I know sometimes you wished
instead to have a boat to row
And maybe then it would've been easier
People say that feelings don't last forever
And I wish we could've spent more time together
So I could prove to you
That's really true
I don't blame you
or shame you
For the decision you made
Because I know I once would've
wished to be that brave
And let myself cave to the pain
But now I've gain more wisdom
People say that handing yourself over to death
Is the action of a coward
And the taste of those words on my tongue is sour
Our minds are trained to handle
significant doses upon doses of pain
But once we cannot handle
the chemical imbalances
We find ourselves trying to find equilibrium
I want you to know that you were brave
And maybe it wasn't the type of courage people hope for
Because people say suicide is the easy way out
But in that moment it's difficult to find another route
People say suicide is not okay
And I agree with them in that way
I just want you to know that you were brave
That even though inside you were torn
And we were never close
You will always be remembered
As the sweet, incredibly intelligent, brave girl



This was written by someone who knew Sara. Someone who is brave enough to break the silence and SPEAK up. Some who is like Sara and all the other teens out there. She is beautiful and battles her own struggles but she is taking a stand against the stigma of suicide.

I will be the Martin Luther King of Mental Illness....I will stand on the top of the mountain for the rest of my life sharing my story so that we can save just one.

"I have a dream that our children are not judged by the things in their heads but lifted up and carried when the weight becomes too much to bear." Allie Doss

Please continue to share my story and talk to your kids.

Special thank you to Cinthia for writing such a beautiful poem for Sara and speaking from your heart. We have her permission and blessing to share this poem. Share it with your teenagers if it helps you have a conversation with them. Read it out loud to them and ask them what they think? Do not be afraid.  Share this with your friends who have kids. This is a teenager who knows what its like to struggle and overcome them. Her words are real. Her feelings are real. She is making a difference. It's an honor to be able to share this poem with you.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! You truly do inspire me to continue fighting for the right to speak. I know what it is like to feel like i'm suffocating and the only way I was finally able to breathe was when I shared my story. I will continue to educate and encourage others to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You truly do inspire me to continue fighting for the right to speak. I know what it is like to feel like i'm suffocating and the only way I was finally able to breathe was when I shared my story. I will continue to educate and encourage others to speak.

    ReplyDelete